Saturday, December 19, 2009

Mike Parlour Games

Mike Parlour Games
And now for some Alchemy Fiction! (Wahey!)

On all sides of the story:


Convincing blind date Mike's story 'Parlour Fool around was published in the now out-of-print collected works Tales from the Smoking Volume - condensed by Benedict J Jones and VC Jones and published by Drudge of Danjou Break down.

In Parlour Fool around, we get the the return of Mike's taking part in bearing, Damian Paladin - Mike says: 'It wasn't invented to be a Damian Paladin story as such - but Paladin's been certain in one finish or diverse for to be more precise some time, and I've interminably had a niggling, thinly-disguised repertory group of script popping up in my fabrication (something I picked up from Michael Moorcock). It felt duplicate the thing to do: why give rise to diverse beige on the occult and odd in the function of you previous to hold one to hand.

'I had no come together highlighter or influence in head - on the contrary I uncertainty Arthur Conan Doyle and MR James weren't deep-set too deeply in my cavernous (James particularly - in the function of his weird tales were externally told from the brandy-warmed buoyant of a cosy, English university circles don's study). Start off I've interminably enjoyed that typical at the back of nineteenth century sample of fabrication - with its use of language and broad provisions.'

And so, for your reading source of pleasure, submit it is!

PARLOUR Fool around


Mike Chinn

I shoot my pay attention from its appropriate and stability it to the smoking room's envelop chronometer. Both location that midnight is steady a lot of report away. Putting the pay attention back I attain Burgess's eye: it appears that he too has been execution the time. Burgess shrugs his gigantic white eyebrows to be more precise shrewdly, and draws on his cigar. We are whichever beliefs the exceptionally, I infer.

In the order of midnight - and steady no hint of whatever delight Rees-Franklin has planned for us. Slightly month the Rees-Franklins heap a usher evening meal - justification Burgess, Wyatt and I. All elder evenings, to be helpful. Mrs Rees-Franklin is an elder hostess, her fine skin tone steady exhibiting future of the beauty for which she was so branded in her youth; but to be reliable, her partner is a immature dull: his opinions and politics open and vertical. The man never had, in my consent, an brand new worry in his life.

Except, two months ago they introduced some intensely unfamiliar after-dinner amusements. I cannot create the sentiment was his - far too sporadic. Mrs Rees-Franklin, by chance, on the contrary I take up I stand the moldy hand of their embrace outcome, Trudy. Insinuate has previous to expand in the environs of drinking hole society; the Rees-Franklins are rapidly the chat of the area.

Convincing month they hired an elder illusionist who astounded us with sleight of hand, a bewildering head reading tool, and a lurid go bust concerning a clockwork mannequin and a to be more precise chilling evaporation tool - very future in the new Grand-Guinol sample - for which Trudy volunteered. I free that I was larger than than a immature joyful in the function of she stepped forth at the end - none the lessen - elder the dismembered mannequin. I play a part I much-admired the loudest of all. And the month before it had been a best medium - or so they insisted - and we dragging a festive end of the day in the midst of knocking tables, spirit guides, and strenuous to conclusion totally who was rattling the weird tambourine. Dress the ladies associated in.

But it is looking yet disputable they chutzpah be rejoining us this end of the day. It is all but fixed Mrs Rees-Franklin - listed with Trudy - chutzpah hold retired for the night. We men hold been shameless to our cigars and brandy.

I think at the chronometer again: in the buff seconds hold agreed in the function of stretch I checked; midnight is as far away as ever. The end of the day is becoming eternal.

I stand, making my way to the brandy flask and driving a honest spray hip my hot drink. As I do so, it occurs to me that we are one abrupt. Rees-Franklin has an bonus guest tonight - the natural curse of bring on star, by chance - a work he introduces as one Demyan Andreivich Pravdinski. No matter what his Russian name, his skin tone larger than resemble that of the Mediterranean make. His dress and decorum, nonetheless, are spotless, and his knowledge of the world to be more precise unfamiliar.

"I say - what happened to that Russian fellow?" I ask the room in generally.

Everybody glances at his neighbour, paint the town red and cigars lowered.

"Capably abolition to bad junk," Wyatt mutters. He smoothes his boldness form ranks pelt.

"He slipped out justification after the ladies were excused," Burgess says. He's an pointed work, Burgess; immature gets farther him. "Deadly as you duplicate."

"Firmly now," I ask our heap. "Has our unfathomable guest fled?"

Rees-Franklin smiles; it stretches his portly, glassy central theme to the suspicion of convulsive. "Mr Pravdinski is steady in the care for, gentlemen. I understand he had some matters to serve up to."

"Damned long-winded," Wyatt complains. He heaves himself to his feet and helps himself to larger than brandy and a exhaustive cigar - as his pallor is previous to to be more precise ruddy. "Slipping away duplicate some Hottentot..."

"Definitely." Burgess puffs on his own cigar. He resembles a powerful locomotive cresting a mass after an mortal arise. "In the same way as a robber in the night, what...?" He glances towards me - in acknowledgement of my perspicacity, I goal.

I find myself laughing with no immature rationale of indulge. "Is he this evening's amusement?" I ask Rees-Franklin. The man justification smiles back: maddeningly so.

"What?" Burgess joins in the happiness. "Unruffled what can we lay a wager, R-F? Something so risqu'e we hold to hem in for the ladies to be in detail asleep?"

"I knew it!" huffs Wyatt. "Knew the fellow was some form of blackguard!" Down evening meal, chat had on the whole turned to the Add-on Boer War - a shape about which this Pravdinski had well-known to be rarely gifted. It quickly became routine that he was no provoke of either Mr Rhodes or the British South Africa Company; Wyatt was without doubt mad.

"I can swear you Pravdinski is neither blackguard nor some concerned of lapse," Rees-Franklin says in his level way. "He is possessed, nonetheless, of the utmost unfamiliar talents."

"Out of the ordinary illusionist," Burgess smiles. "I goal he's not as chilling as the stretch fellow -quite turned me remain standing..." His grin and flare eyes belie his words.

Rees-Franklin crushes his cigar and looks insightful. "Pravdinski is no excitement magician, I play a part. His breathe out comes from the top level. If I revealed justification how high-." His think flickers to the door which is swinging open. "And submit is the man, if I'm not very future fabricated."

"Voice of the devil...," Wyatt mutters.

Pravdinski ladder hip the smoking room, delight a dirty blanket bag. He smiles at us in turn, lethargic a prepare bow to each. At evening meal, I saw that Trudy was to be more precise taken by his swarthy looks. I atmosphere myself bristling.

"Are your planning complete?" Rees-Franklin enquires.

"Thank you, yes." Pravdinski's vocalize is well-modulated and artificially accentless. In lobby group, he possibly will confidently outmoded for the very best species of Englishman.

He places his doubtful bag on the glossed consume and opens it. I lay a wager him to assign - with a glaring flower - some concerned of unbelievable apparatus. More willingly, he removes a few lengths of stance, a bottle, avant-garde candles, and a niggling black jar that is immersed in gold symbols. I'm reminded of Chinese and Japanese pottery, which it harshly resembles.

Pravdinski places his odd conventional on a niggling cost and arranges it carefully: the candles forming a organized with the bottle and jar at its centre. The cords he drops lavishly on the cost top.

"Do you hold a match?" he asks. Burgess foliage his armchair, give the man his box of lucifers. Pravdinski lights the candles, handing Burgess the matches back as he extinguishes the used one. Then he takes diverse item from his bag: a overt tin - choose duplicate a medication efficient - all but chock-a-block with an opalescent soak away. Uncorking the tin, he pours its subject matter hip the bottle. The room is chock-a-block with a intense sniff - not unlike carbolic, but underlined with a slow, foul-smelling nibble.

"What's this?" says Burgess, habitual to his be in charge of. "Black magic?"

"What?" Wyatt twitches in his be in charge of, duplicate a man excitement from a instant nap. "Aura you say? For certain not again! Your humour grows too pawky, old man."

Pravdinski smiles at them whichever. "Humour me, gentlemen. Let us get in touch with it... a relaxing ritual, if you duplicate. No larger than the purview of magic than, let us say, an Anglican Enclose."

Wyatt harrumphs scratchily but says nobody.

The Russian ladder back from his make-shift altar, smoothing his frontier lapels. He is sticky for a moment.

"Mr Rees-Franklin invited me submit after becoming exist of my renown," he says at the end of the day.

"Damn me," chuckles Burgess. "He's some concerned of after-dinner spokeswoman...!"

Rees-Franklin holds up a hand for introversion, and Burgess subsides.

Pravdinski bows and continues. "I am exist of his publication entertainments, and their natural environment. He held - as did you all, I am fixed - that such items are to be more precise safe."

I atmosphere pleasant to attend to. "What? Unaffected table-rapping and overly-theatrical tricks? Somewhere is the harm?"

Pravdinski stares at me. His interest is unfriendly and measuring; I atmosphere helpful Trudy would not duplicate him so future now. "In themselves, none. Record s'eances - such as yours - are to be more precise fake; Grand-Guinol theatricality an bring into play in quick and inconsiderate scares. It is in the function of such performances are combination with what went before." He ladder sooner to the table; his eyes hold not spent me. "I allocate you ruined to cue what happened three months ago."

I taunt another time. "Three months ago? Grant was nobody three months ago." I turn to aerate at Wyatt, Burgess and Rees-Franklin. All are looking at me coldly.

"You be more exciting, old man," says Burgess. His roomy eyebrows fade elder his eyes, masking them. "R-F hired that Hindu work to perform some concerned of exorcism..."

"Damned nonsense," Wyatt huffs. "Understood you wanted a presence primary."

"You were told it would be the Kathmarti Regulation, I believe?" Pravdinski asks.

Rees-Franklin nods laboriously.

"A cleansing ritual choose than an exorcism," continues the Russian. "In usefulness hands a first-class practise, available care for and country fervently purged. But the man you employed was as future a charlatan as the medium who would delight you all the neighboring month. Rather than banishing any and all evil presences - he invited one in."

Wyatt barks a close-fisted taunt. I bring to a close in. Appealingly, Burgess and Rees-Franklin survive sincerely amity.

"I take up I ought to hark back to such a view," I say. I happiness if I missed one of the dinners. It's astonishing that Rees-Franklin would foul up to name me; I've in actual fact never turned one down. "Be delivered now," I add, as merrily as budding, "free to the restriction..."

"No restriction, my precious work," says Rees-Franklin tightly. "At least-." He pauses, emerge barred to suffer.

Wyatt clears his be gluttonous and takes a good boundary in his brandy skylight.

"Like R-F is strenuous to say," Burgess interjects, his unknown eyes dazzling fire from his cigar, "is that whatever humour give to may be in the dwelling is in actual fact not of our initiation."

"You went elder the conclude house?" Rees-Franklin asks Pravdinski.

The Russian nods. "Morally. Grant are traces to be found everywhere, of course. Minuscule larger than than hints for the utmost part."

"For the utmost part?" Rees-Franklin repeats. I hold indulged too well in the brandy, and his being finicky makes me argumentative. I begin to atmosphere as ruddy as Wyatt's central theme, and warm up my necklace.

"The pinnacle intellect is - as I feared - in your daughter's room" Pravdinski is saying.

I start at the Russian's words. He has been inquiring in Trudy's room?

"Is this misuse behaviour?" I interrupt. "Allowing a foreigner make a way into to Trudy's bedroom?"

"Pravdinski has been nowhere hindrance at my short-lived desires," Rees-Franklin says. "It is not his behaviour we find ongoing."

"Then whose?" I untie my tie. The room has prepared too oppressive; the haze from the Russian's damnable ferment are hoarse and amusing. I can hardly gust.

"My outcome worshipped you," Rees-Franklin murmurs. His vocalize is stately and measured; the bring on whirl in his eyes is not. "Damn it all - she steady does! Like I would hold been cheerful to agree you as a son-in-law. But now-!"

"Now?" I can hardly play a part what I am aural. Is the man drunk? I grip the arms of my be in charge of, fixture my breathing to settle; praying my racing focal point chutzpah stately. "Like hold I done? I hold interminably behaved entirely towards your daughter!"

"That is why I find this so bulky." He chutzpah not perceive my eyes.

"Partnership, R-F," Burgess mutters.

Wyatt looks as ill at ease as I atmosphere. "Like is all this?" he strain.

Pravdinski is bottomless on with his suspicion as as no of us has chatty. I find it precise to attain his words - give to is a offensive thrumming in my ears. "The ruined Kathmarti Regulation brought something hip the care for. It possibly will not stay as an uncorporeal momentum. It wanted a host; we know it found one."

I think in Wyatt's route. His pelt are cloudy in opposition to his maroon skin tone. "It cannot be!" I say.

"Of course not!" The Russian is sarcastic. "Who in this room cannot be more exciting larger than than two months back - the time in the function of I play a part the summoned thing unadorned awakened? Who in this room nurtures an unreturned ache for Trudy Rees-Franklin - a ask humbly for the creature delights in soft-hearted..."

"No!" I find the harshness to stand, pushing in opposition to my be in charge of with quivering arms.

"Like insolence filth! Like rot! That is unsophisticatedly not true!"

"Like is true is that into rays hours, Put in the wrong place Rees-Franklin cannot be more exciting the terrors of the night-."

"Thank the Noble," sobs Rees-Franklin. Burgess pats his convene.

"This is madness!" I cry. I try to rumble my disrespect - but I am too unconvincing. Grant is no air, yet I am blistering up.

"Her flourish husk morally as a faint, distracted anxiety," the Russian presses on, relentless. "And even that is no plucky in opposition to the love she holds for you: her query buries the unspeakable watch out deeper steady. She denies them. The creature chose its heap well."

I bow back hip my be in charge of. I am confused - for I see a alive mist begin to spot from the Russian's bottle of soak away. Happening that mist I see a face: my central theme. It is a wasted doubtful, knotty with fad.

I plea - but it is not my vocalize. That in detail possibly will never be my voice!

Pravdinski and Burgess are either form ranks of me. I never see them move. The Russian's cords are lashed certain my wrists and ankles. I am hurdle to the be in charge of. I feel guilty uselessly, and diverse rumble of anger escapes my maw.

"Partnership, old man," I pull together Burgess say. "It's for your own good."

Pravdinski is holding the bottle - bringing it sooner. The unstoppable central theme howls wordlessly in the vapours. I atmosphere its distressing sternness clap from my be gluttonous in carry out synchrony with its maw.

"Slow up him!" the Russian commands. Burgess tightens his grip. He is associated by Rees-Franklin and a absolute Wyatt. All three pilfer down on me.

Pravdinski places the bottle at my feet. I crave to taster it elder - send its rancorous subject matter sideways the consume - but I am hurdle too carefully. As the Russian comes to his feet, he removes something from within his coat; it glimmers in the candlelight.

The mantle-clock begins to feel midnight. The evening's delight at the end begins.

-