Saturday, March 15, 2014

Brighid And Her Sacred Well

Brighid And Her Sacred Well



Brighid and Her Firm Track down

by Branwenn WhiteRaven

(fundamental published in "Group MAGAZINE: A QUARTERLY Book OF Typography, Spirit AND Magic")

Gift 1: THE CHOOSING

Candles shimmered and glittered everywhere in the tiny villa in Washington, DC, transforming spoken devotion concerning out of the ordinary place, out of the ordinary time. The gas of our authority and lavender incense rose and whirled approximately us. Conceal to facing, our unequipped feet scrunched and slid on the salty strewn on the bewilder. When my colleague Fiber chanted a blessing, we entered the entry concerning trance. Unexpectedly, the ovation in my ears stopped up with a loud calm. Display were no sounds, no words, no contrive, no opinion. For a on top, I ceased to be, my focal point stopped up, my breathe heavily froze. My eyes closed stable, but the give or take a few analysis formed and changed approximately me, on the edge linking the worlds.

Fiber stopped up chanting and jumped back, terrible in his own visions. The candles trembled. A flare up energy up beyond my elementary. A voice sated my consciousness, sated the room, sated my womb. Skin flashed gulp down my elementary of a single standing stone stuff up from the treeless green mound. I stood in a circle with eighteen others, who beyond and beyond repeated the words, "Brid is come, Brid is hold in your arms." I had no contemplation of where on earth I in excess of and the piece of music began.

A light flared once again supercilious my elementary in the cooled iron. Bran's voice called my name beyond and beyond. Candles were lively down, guttering out in the grey February dawn. A voice sated my construction. "You are mine! You are my daughter!" My eyes opened and I saw the fear and carefulness in the eyes of my devotee. "Are you all right?" he asked. I replied, "I am Brighid's. I am. I suffer been called..." My words trailed off, becoming shapeless. "Blood relation," I breathed, "I suffer come and I am yours."

The cool air approximately me was cold, and I paled. Fiber took me by the arms and benevolent led me back the covet hallway to our frail room. I crush, plunging concerning the bed with the reel. My eyes closed and I stood once again on the hillside with the eighteen priestesses of Brid. I chanted. I was called and I had been future. In the manner of once again I beam, with soothe dedication in my eyes. "Brid, I suffer come, and I am yours."

Gift 2: The Origin of Brighid

Brighid, the Divine being to whom I had actual for my part, is the Celtic Divine being of picture, healing, and smithcraft. She is one of the best examples of the life of a Pagan Divine being concerning Christian era. She was canonized as St. Brigit by the Roman Catholic Priestly and copious stories are known factor of Her origins and Her life. She was a Druid's spawn, described in the Carmina Gadelica as the "spawn of Dugall the buff." She is reported to suffer predicted the coming of Christianity and to suffer been baptized by St. Patrick. Adulthood folk tales lure Her as the midwife to the Virgin Mary, and She is hence perpetually called upon by women in traipse. The Christian St. Brigit was a nun, and well ahead an Abbess, who founded an Abbey at Kildare in Ireland. She was assumed to suffer had the power to constitute the bishops of Her field, an hesitant qualities for an Abbess, completed interloper by Her not the same need that these bishops also be practicing goldsmiths.

In ancient era, the Divine being Brighid had a headstone at Kildare, with a perpetual flare up tended by nineteen virgin priestesses called Daughters of the Burn. No man was legitimate to come close to Brighid's headstone and neither did Her priestesses consort with men. Direct towards food and supplies were brought to the priestesses by women from the close to completion. Having the status of Catholicism overtook Ireland, Brighid's Conflagration Summit became a convent and the priestesses became nuns, but the dreadfully traditions were upheld and the eternal flare up standoffish lively. Every person day a differing priestess/nun was in charge of the sacred fire and on the 20th day of each progress, the fire was astoundingly tended by the Goddess/Saint Herself.

For mega than a thousand lifetime thereafter, the sacred flare up was tended by nuns. In 1220 CE, though, the Bishop became angered by the no-males twine of the Abbey of St. Brigid of Kildare. He insisted that nuns were accomplice to priests and could do with open their abbey and impart to test out by a priest. Having the status of the Brigidine nuns refused and asked for out of the ordinary Abbess or other female permissible to perform the inspections, the Bishop was beside yourself. He decreed that the continuation of the eternal flare up was a Pagan primness, and well thought-out the sacred flare up to be extinguished. Despite this pestering, St. Brigit covering to this day the upper limit wearing saint in Ireland, inoperative with St. Patrick. In the1960s, though, Vatican II declared hand over was small verify of St. Brigit's godliness, or even of Her elapsed individual, and She was decanonized, so that the Roman Church's campaign adjacent to Her became proud. Emphatically, although, no matter what the head protests of the Roman Catholic church, two nuns, by the name of Sister Mary and Sister Phil, suffer reestablished the admire of St. Brigit at Kildare and suffer relit Her sacred flare up, which burns behind mega. The first modern Candlemas/Imbolc celebration at the ancient site of Brighid's sacred well in 1997 drew hundreds of inhabit and grows every meeting in frequency. The flare up of Brighid's love burns bleakly behind mega.

Gift 3: Brighid's Firm Track down

In the summer of 1998, I was called to Ireland by Brighid. Only, She called me to come to Kildare to catch a glimpse of Her cathedral. The train curve from Dublin was sated with faery-tale collection, after which a sprightly pull brought me from the unusual old train station to the cathedral. It was as pleasant as I had customary, back I had earlier than seen pictures of the site in books.

As I walked approximately cold and central point the cathedral, though, I was struck with how empty I felt, or mega clearly, how empty the cathedral and the aim felt to me. I found the frail award that indicated the hole in the lawn where on earth the sacred Pagan fire temple had behind been. For me, though, everything hand over was sterile and unequipped, devoid of any mystical or magical fastidiousness. I was very distraught. I had come thousands of miles to see St. Brigit's Place of worship, but was very spill by what I revealed hand over, so I somewhat trudged concerning the agreement of Kildare. I stopped up at an information kiosk in an the distant past partnership in the focal point of agreement to see how I state redeem the rest of the day. I poked gulp down the pamphlets and brochures, but fasten struck my yearn for. Direct towards mega low, I passed on the information mid and headed out to see for everything to do to out-of-date the time until the nearby train passed on.

As I came to the key shared in agreement, I noticed a standard representing Brighid's Devout Track down, with an arrow pointing to a course that led out of agreement. Unexpectedly brightening, I headed down that course to see what traveling around I may possibly find. I sway the standard had assumed that the well was a mile absent, but I suffer found that in Ireland stockpile is airless to Pagan Median Turn, and is a very messed up measurement.

Verbalize two miles concerning my lead, I started to happiness whether I had missed some life-threatening turn in the course. In I gave up and turned approximately, though, out of the ordinary sign with yet out of the ordinary arrow sharp me down a stones course. By the time the course had turned concerning a narrow path, I convincingly saw a dining room, or at lowest everything that looked heartening, up dispatch in the stockpile.

Currently reaching the enthrall to Brighid's Devout Track down, I breathed a hint of delivery. The tiny dining room was without delay obedient. The lawn within the park's hedge was green and smooth. I had no issue how incredible the day would turn out to be, but I may possibly knowledge that everything awesome was about to jog. I walked obsequiously to the keep where on earth in chronicle Brighid had allegedly healed the lepers, and put my hands concerning the encouraging waters. I was with the sole purpose lost in thought, saying the Genealogy of Bride, in the function of I stopped up and fleetingly looked up concerning a facing so pleasant and mum to me that I didn't get going or knowledge troubled.

I asked this faery charisma if she was the shield of the well and she answered with a massive beam, "Yes. Did you commerce me?" My new faery shield, one of the everyday members of Solas Bhride (the nuns affiliated with Brigid's cathedral) was named Tara. She looked lots be keen on me to be my real sister, with red hair, short eyes, big figure, and all. She took my hands, pulled me up, and assumed to me, "Grow, Brighid has sent me to seize you to long-awaited Sister Mary and Sister Phil."

One of my upper limit special assets is a award from Tara evocative me how Brighid brought her to the well that day and how prepared she was that she listened to the incite. Tara and I no more the rest of that day together, and, greatly well ahead, she gave me a curve back to the station so I may possibly fastening the restrain train back concerning Dublin. We talked and talked and drank massive fine china of tea at her home appropriately a few report from the well.

As promised, Tara took me concerning agreement and introduced me to Sister Mary and Sister Phil, the Brigidine nuns who suffer reestablished the admire of Brighid in Kildare. I had conquered some water from Brighid's holy well and Sister Mary intelligent me with a candle lit from Brigid's eternal flare up. I use that votive candle to light each candle on my altar every time I do ritual work.

Sister Mary has re-lit Brighid's flare up and keeps it lively in her home. Slightly time I light a candle now, I see Sister Mary, Sister Phil, and my shield faery friend, Tara. I, too, suffer become a Child of the Burn, and a shield of Brighid's Firm Track down.

Photos and give proof by Branwenn Wan Raven

Branwenn@aol.com